There are lots of reasons to get excited about Geelong's Motor City Music Festival on Labour Day weekend. We've asked some seasoned punters what they've loved in the past and what they're looking forward to this year.
• Loved riding the Dodgems all weekend, great fun on Friday and Saturday with no kids. Can’t wait to see Thunderstruck. Sam, MCMF volunteer since 2014.
• Love the atmosphere of the site, very Australian and a great vibe. Most excited about seeing The Wolfe Brothers head lining the Country day Sunday under the Southern Cross Windmill, Largest windmill in the Southern Hemisphere. Chris, MCMF General Manager.
Photo: Reg Ryan
• A big fan of the Showman’s Bar and it’s world famous Mojitos, not only is it Australia’s oldest operating Showman’s bar, it’s the closest thing you will find to a real deep south Juke Joint/chicken shack. Looking forward to Friday night Southern Cross Stage Girls Glam and Guitars with Wild Violet, Miss Quincey, Sisters Doll and Glitter Gang. Hugo T Armstrong – MCMF Proprietor and Promoter.
• Love the Motor Pavilion with all the stars of The Blues Train, really looking forward to bring the kids on family day Sunday for Dean Ray and the Real Dinosaurs. Can’t wait to see Cookin’ on 3 Burners with Tex Perkins and Stella Angelico on Saturday Night. Adrienne, MCMF Administration and Volunteer Coordinator.
• I’m a massive fan of the Blues so I’m looking forward to seeing some of my fave Blues Train acts at the festival – Jimi Hocking, Chris Wilson and Sweet Felicia. I don’t mind a Somersby Cider either! Narelle, Communications, Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine.
Photo: Nicola Stephenson
• The Showman’s Bar and Adam Jones’ Bacardi mojitos are an absolute highlight. For the soundtrack I love Mojo Corner and Wolfe Brohters. That, plus it’s so close to home I don’t even need an Uber! Sharon, Project Officer, Business Events Geelong.
• Grabbing a Furphy off the back of the steam truck and tapping my toes to the best country artists in Australia is a highlight. Roger, Executive Director, Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine.
What about me? My five year old can’t wait to see Katy Perry and Pink (just don’t tell her they’re tributes!) and her brother loves the rides. Our nieces have a little crush on Dean Ray and can't wait to see him. We’re all looking forward to hot jam donuts and the best fireworks we’ve ever seen in Geelong!
Photo: Lachlan Manley