If Mother Nature has a favourite child, surely it’s Summer?
Warm, carefree and full of fun, she loves a celebration and lights up our world with her long sunny days. Summer is holidays by the beach and the smell of barbeques in the air. It’s salt water, cold drinks, long dinners and late nights. It’s the season of fondest memories and fiercest fun.
Traditions of spending summer on the coast will always be observed. But there’s a whole lot of new stuff to explore and discover too. Learn more about the region on guided tours or try something new with a class to learn surfing or paddle boarding. Swing a club or find great grub – there’s an option for every holidaymaker. Relax and enjoy summer in Geelong and The Bellarine.
SUMMER TOP TEN
1. Get festive! Check out the floating tree, light projections and discover the whole trail of Christmas joy across Geelong.
2. While you’re in the festive mood, hit one of the carol concerts – Dennis Walter at the Waterfront or the traditional Johnstone Park Christmas Eve shindig.
3. Go out to eat. And by ‘out’ we mean outside. Al fresco is the best when the air is warm and your view is bright.
4. Grab something delicious and fresh or unique and handmade at a market from the Golden Plains, Geelong or The Bellarine.
6. Ice cream! A rainbow of colour and flavour combinations on decadent cones, the ideal way to cool down on a hot day.
7. Head to the Waterfront in late January for a huge week of events – Festival of Sails, Australia Day and the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road race, all in a ten day span.
8. Indulge in some saltwater therapy. A walk on the beach in the fresh sea air, or splash straight in to the ocean.
10. You can’t beat a cold beer on a warm day. Try something brewed locally or at a local pub. Or, for a whole day dedicated to beer – the Great Australian Beer Festival on 18 February.
Kick off your Summer plans by checking out What's On.