As a kid, of all the school holidays on the calendar Summer reigned supreme. They stretch out three times as long as term breaks. You hadn’t started the new school year yet so didn’t have any homework or assignments. Plus, it’s Summer so there’s HEAPS of stuff to do, including some really awesome special activities.
- Race to the Big Steel Box Bellarine Cup Day on 2 January at the Geelong Racing Club. There are heaps of activities on track for the kids and parents can enjoy a bounty of Bellarine produce. More.
- Immerse yourselves in the oldest living culture in the world with a guided cultural tour at Narana Creations from 3 – 25 January. You’ll meet native wildlife, hear about bush tucker and native medicine and learn how to throw a boomerang (and paint your own to take home!) More.
- Get a taste for sailing at the Royal Geelong Yacht Club at the Discover Sailing Day, or spend five days learning to sail in their Tackers program – no experience necessary and all equipment is provided. Various dates throughout January available. More.
- Giddy up at a day camp with Saddle On Riding School. Horse riding and care as well as games, food and drinks. January 19, 20, 23, 24, 25 and 27. More.
- Get into the swing at Curlewis Golf Club with their school holiday program in December and January. More.
- Learn to paddle with Paddle Life Barwon Heads! Introduce kids to kayaking with all equipment (including life jackets) supplied. Classes are at the Riverside Park, Barwon Heads on Wednesdays and Fridays during school holidays. Best suited for ages 10-16. More.
- Feel the rhythm of the live African music and kids activities at the Rhythm of Africa at Werribee Open Range Zoo. Running Saturday nights from 7 January to 25 February, kids are free and will love the drumming lessons, hair braiding and a sunset safari. More.
- The Geelong Gallery has three very cool events from 20-25 January targetting different age groups. There are Eye-Spy Art Adventures suitable for 3-5 year olds or 5-9 year olds. 5-12 year olds will make art in response to percussion music with Between Footsteps. And 10-14 year olds can attend a diorama workshop themed ‘Tricking the Eye’. More.
- Delve into Horrible Histories – Pirates! There are foul facts and gruesome games in this interactive exhibition at the National Wool Museum. Open daily and running until April. More.
- Step aboard, step back in time or step into Thomas with Bellarine Railway. Heritage services are running throughout January, and the famous Day Out With Thomas are running 7-8 January and 21-22 January. More.
- Waurn Ponds Shopping Centre is on trend with their in-centre school holiday activities featuring Trolls (9-13 January) and Angry Birds (16-20 January) and The Aviary (21-26 January). All activities are free and run between 11am – 2pm. More.
- Splash into an evening sea, swim and snorkel event with Sea All Dolphin Swims and come eye to eye with seals, gannets and possibly dolphins. Departing Queenscliff Harbour at 6pm from 2 – 21 January. More.
- There's lots of down to earth activities at The Farmer’s Place throughout January including feeding, story time and farmer for a day. More.
- The Brickman Experience will see Lego take over the Geelong Arena from 13-29 January. Featuring the work of Ryan McNaught, the only Lego Certified Professional in the Southern Hemisphere. More.
- Check out the Central Geelong Summer Fun Guide – it’ll highlight all the kid-friendly markets, events, fireworks displays, concerts, theatrics, classes and other activities for little ones throughout the summer school holiday period. More.
Still looking for more ideas? Try our Family Fun suggestions.