The beloved Geelong Bollards have gone beyond a quirky selfie opportunity and are now an interactive visitor experience rich with stories and fun.
Visitors to the Geelong Waterfront will see our unique bollards in a new light with the launch of the Augmented Reality app Activate Geelong.
By downloading Activate Geelong in the App Store or Google Play, anyone with a smartphone will be able to see the bollards at six sites moving, singing and dancing and hear narration on the unique stories of the people they represent.
The active sites include:
- Volunteer Rifle Band next to the Carousel
- Bathing Beauties at Eastern Beach
- Town Bath Swimmers’ Club at the end of Bellerine Street
- Steam and Sail Captains just east of Cunningham Pier
- Sailor and Woman on Western Beach Road at the end of Cunningham Pier
- Yacht Club Lady (perfectly positioned outside the Royal Geelong Yacht Club)
Tourism Greater Geelong and the Bellarine have partnered with Marc-O-Matic and Virtualex to deliver the art and technology fusion thanks to a Victorian Government grant through the Regional Events and Innovation Fund.
Geelong’s bollards have been a beloved icon of the waterfront precinct for more than 20 years. Each one represents a significant character or piece of history for the local area.