The Blog

Looking for a Dogoliday? Dog friendly Geelong & The Bellarine

When I was a little kid I was petrified of dogs! Our cousins had two chubby Corgis and I thought they were the scariest creatures I ever met. Years on, I can’t image life without a canine friend.

They might leave hair over everything you own, tear apart your favourite shoes or cost you a fortune at the vet, but when you look at the benefits, they far outweigh the cons.

Research has shown that owning a pet can have a number of physical health benefits

  • Increased cardiovascular health
  • Dogs help us get out and enjoy the outdoors while getting some regular exercise
  • Fewer visits to the doctor
  • Owning a dog helps to strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of allergies
  • Children who have pets are less likely to miss days of school due to illness

Our dogs name is Moby. He’s a Jack Russel - not the yappy kind. He’s about 9 years old, loves digging in the sand and his biggest obsession is food. Sounds like a doggy Tinder profile.

Moby was originally a Melburnian but when we made the sea change, we sniffed out new places of interest for our little for fur child.

Moby understands 3 human words. Walk. Beach. Swim. So you can imagine how happy he was when we moved to the Bellarine. There are heaps of great spots to go for a W.A.L.K. Do you have to spell the word out so your dog doesn’t peak too soon?

PLAY

Sandy beaches span across Geelong & The Bellarine region and as we head into winter, there are more opportunities to let the dogs run free.

The Bellarine Rail Trail spans a whole 32.5kms so pick your favourite section for a spin with the hound. Take your buddy along the Barwon River, providing a pretty backdrop for a run, walk or ride. Here’s some handy info on where and when you can get out with the dog.

Approx. 80% of our office own a dog and the other 20% wish they could. I asked them to share their favourite things to do with their dogs around the region.

Here’s what they like to get up to:

  • Queenscliff and Ocean Grove dog beach for a swim and play with the other dogs.
  • A paddle on the canoe down at Swan Bay.
  • My dog relies on the kindness of strangers for food so quite enjoys the walk to the shops along Pakington Street.
  • In summer when the crowds are at the beach, we head up the Bellarine Rail Trail as there’s less balls to steal.
  • Walk from BIG4 Beacon to Point Lonsdale Lighthouse and back. Normally takes an hour and the dog enjoys a swim along the way.
  • We race up the You Yangs. I'm often the loser.

Image @oatslyfe

Our friends at Searoad Ferries welcome four legged customers. They can get on board and wander the outside decks.  At the ticketing window every pooch receives a doggie treat and onboard there is a doggie station with a water bowl. Woof!

 

STAY

No dog sitters required because there are a bundle of dog friendly accommodation options to chose from. Does your dog like a little style and glamour, because camping isn't your only choice when visiting our region for a "dogoliday". 

Image @super_frenchie_mario

Bells By the Beach

They've had more than 140 different fur-kids stay in the past 8 years. Dogs can stay and sleep indoors with their human friends during their at this venue in Ocean Grove. They provide everything for your pet - from a personal bed and locally-baked pet treats, to a stock of clean towels, blankets, food and drink bowls.

Tuscan Getaway

Imagine your own Tuscan Getaway, sleeping up to 12 guests, on The Bellarine only one and a half hours from Melbourne.  Including a heated pool, tennis court, gym, theatre, games room and Alfresco dining. An amazing north facing portico with a gourmet barbecue offers a stunning entertainment area. Don't worry if you drop a snag off the BBQ, your mate will be sure to clean it up.

Prater’s Cottage

Situated in the heart of Queenscliff, it is only a stroll to hotels, restaurants, cafes, shops, beaches and railway station (home of the famous Blues Train). There is a beautiful private garden complete with sundeck and entertaining area with barbecue. Sounds like a great space to hang with your buddy.

Lonsdale Palms

The Lonsdale Palms features a heritage house and two separate cottages on the one property and is only 200 metres from the beach. It can sleep up to 15 adults in comfort and style, including space for your dog to relax after their big beach walks.

@super_frenchie_mario

Image @super_frenchie_mario

 So pack up your mates favourite toys, come for a sleep over or just head down for the day. Make sure you open the windows on the drive down as every dog loves to feel the wind on their face. Book in some doggie dates at our cafes and wineries and spend some quality time with your best mate!

Check out our
OFFERS & PACKAGES

This is your place of inspiration and motivation. A place to save your favourite discoveries — and share them with your friends and family.
What are you waiting for?

Print Close Wishlist